Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Whether by mine own voice...

Today one of our children brought home an activity from school about following directions. He thought it would be fun to use for family night, and then we briefly discussed following and obedience, especially as it pertains to the children doing things we ask them to do WHEN they are asked, (and us as well) so that we don't forget what we are supposed to do. I asked another child to find a scripture that related, and then I suggested Nephi 3:7
1 Nephi 3:7

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

I agree with this one whole-heartedly, and I am SO trying to do the things the Lord is asking of me. But there is the ongoing conflict. I then posed the question to my husband, "Wait, how can we believe both this scripture AND the one that says that when the Lord's servants speak, it is as though he himself is speaking.

Doctrine and Covenants 1:38

What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

Noah then explained it to me, saying that most Mormons quote and understand it out of context. God is saying that His word will be fulfilled WHEN He is speaking or speaking through His servants, not that every word they say are His own words.

Hmmm, very interesting...



No comments: