Friday, October 9, 2009

Is He Gay?


When I was at the pride center last week, I checked out a book that caught my eye at the library there.

"Is He Gay? For every woman who's met the Ideal Man and is wondering...why hasn't he tried to kiss me?" (by Ed Baker and Chris Busick).

Noah and I enjoyed reading it together one night, and here are the thoughts I enjoyed the most! It is comprised of a bunch of comics and scenarios that should scream to the girl, "Hello, he's gay." A page following each comic lists "hints" and a "superhint".


Here's the intro page...

"You've finally met a guy who makes every moment feel like a Kodak commercial. Your inner voice cries, "I DO!" but your sex drive screams, "WE DON'T!" As your relationship reaches new heights of intimacy, the snapshots seem clearly platonic. You ask yourself, "Why didn't I see this coming?" We answer, "Because you haven't read this book."

There is a comic of him holding back her hair while she throws up. What a saint! So much like my gay husband. The superhint: "HE TAKES CARE OF YOU". Yes, he always has. :)

Comic of them cuddling in bed. Hints: "You spoon him...he goes to sleep..." Story of my life!

Other hints: "he cooks", "he can shop till you drop"; superhint: "SHOW TUNES" LOL!

Favorite Store: "The Pottery Shed"; hints: "candles, sconces, throw rug" (Mine loves to shop, especially in kitchen stores or stores with decor.)

Goodbye: "brotherly hugs, passionless pecks"

He doesn't call for days. Then finally...

"Last minute invitation, he's making pasta, video's containing questionable subject matter." (Comic says, "I rented Gods and Monsters")

Getting to know him, "He has great taste and he's neat, drapes are billowy and tied back, subscribes to International Male, Architectural Digest, People, TV Guide, Wallpaper, Exercise for Men Only, Detour, W, Vanity Fair, & Martha Stewart Living." For mine, it is Men's Vogue and Better Homes and Gardens.

"Erratic calling patterns...He's not jealous..."

Comic, girl talking to friend..."I just don't get it." She says, "He's gay."

Comic, on a date: "I have a question to ask you..." He interrupts, "You look so HOT tonight." "I do?"

Hints: "flattery". Superhint: "Strawberry Margaritas"

"He is so not gay. My friend is stupid...I think she's gay."

Hints: "You're in denial" (Footnote: "Possibly, so is he.") ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH! 30-something years of denial for both of us.

Comic: "Let's get out of here!"

But instead of sex, he ends up giving her a facial.

Verdict: GAY!

Disclaimer at the end of the book:

"The authors of this book recognize that the content is one MASSIVE generalization. There are bound to be exceptions. Neither author, in fact, owns a sconce. With that in mind, if you have any complaints, questions, or are single and too pretty, feel free to contact us."

Funny book. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that! Every single one of those has happened to me. At least I knew he was gay right? Thanks for blogging!

BigRedHammer said...

That was hilarious! I'd love to write two gay-related books. "How to Build Your Gaydar" and "The Four Sins of Gaydom".

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Most of those have happened to me, too... which is why I knew my DH was gay from year 1 of our marriage (even though he didn't realize he was gay until year 6, lol). I think I need to get that book for next Christmas!

Madame Curie said...

Just bought this book - great stuff!